If you are considering getting solar or wind generation, here are some questions you will want to ask before starting your project with a vendor.
- How many systems have you installed in the area? (state, county, local)
- What will the total cost be from start to finish, including design, permits and construction?
- Who is the panel manufacturer?
- What is kW (DC) rating per panel?
- What parts are covered by warranties?
- What is required of the owner to keep the warranties in force?
- What actions or inactions will void the warranties?
- Can the system be modified in the future without affecting the warranties?
- How much will it cost to temporarily remove the system if roof work is needed in the future?
- Does the bid include the AC electrical work?
- Does the system meet the rapid shutdown code requirements, NEC 690.12?
- Who is the battery manufacturer(if applicable) and what are the model and serial numbers? *
- What is the battery system kW and usable kWh (if applicable)? *
- What is the warranty for the battery system? *
- What is required of the owner to keep the battery warranty? *
- What actions or inactions will void the battery warranty? *
- How are the batteries disposed of at the end of their life? *
- Who will be responsible for getting the necessary permits?
- Are the permits costs included in the contract price?
- Are there any applicable state and federal tax credits or other available incentives?
- What are the expected annual operation and maintenance costs?
- What is the expected annual and lifetime energy generation based on the home’s orientation, shade, and estimated costs and savings?
- What portion of my energy consumption will be offset by the generation from the solar PV system?
- What purchase and financing options are available?
* Suggested if system also involves a battery storage component
For a directory of available solar installers, view Nebraskans for Solar. (Note: we do not endorse any of these providers.)